The region has a great deal to offer, including great hikes and many active/adventure options, charming small towns, terrific dining, and fantastic vistas.
The best known is Echo Point, where you have a commanding view of a valley below and the rock formation known as the Three Sisters on your left. Visit Echo Point either early or late in the day, to avoid the many tour buses and groups that stop to take photos. Two other lookouts that are less well-known but worth seeing are Evans Lookout and Sublime Point – close a town called Leura. On your way to/from the Blue Mountains, stop at Featherdale Wildlife Park to see Koalas and Kangaroos up close.
The best place to stay in the Blue Mountains region, by a mile, is Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley, a destination unto itself. The resort is located about 2.5 hours’ drive from Sydney. Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is an all-inclusive resort set in a private, 7,000-acre wildlife reserve of forests and open grasslands surrounded by majestic sandstone mountains. The vibe is sophisticated, elegant, casual, and low key. Stay at least two nights’ to get a taste of all that the property has to offer.
- Accommodations: 40 free-standing, spacious villas with private pools. Most are 1 bedroom, 3 are two-bedroom, and one three-bedroom Wolgan villa.
- Dining: The resort offers formal and casual venues, including a main Dining Room, a more informal Country Kitchen restaurant, and Valley Bar & Lounge. You can also dine in your villa.
- Facilities: the property offers a large pool, spa, tennis, and spacious public areas
- Activities: enjoy horseback riding, hiking, archery, night safaris, and conservation activities during your stay.
- Don’t miss: dining under the stars or a gourmet lunch picnic on the reserve